NetworkedBlogs

Thursday, May 31, 2012

80-20 Rule - Wrapping up Women's Health Month

May was not only the month that has been declared National Women’s Health Month but it is also the month in which we celebrate Mother’s Day. One mother that has the whole world watching and listening like E.F. Hutton is First Lady Michelle Obama. Recently on the popular late morning talk show The View, First Lady Obama discussed a topic she and I both are passionate about reducing obesity, particularly among children. http://abc.go.com/watch/the-view/SH559080/VD55206697/the-view-529

The world we live in is not our grandparent’s world - children and adults alike are bombarded with images of so many “foods” that promise to make the lives of busy adults more manageable and dietary choices more convenient. Convenience is killing and Mrs. Obama has committed to using the platform she has to promote a shift that encourages adults to embrace choosing the high road to health. No yo-yo diets or extreme measures, just simple meal make-overs and a little bit of hands in the dirt can forever change the health status of our world.

Reflecting on my work as a nutritionist over the last 25 years, I have lost count of the many times I have said to a client “If you do what you are supposed to do 80% of the time, you’ll have not need for guilt or worry the other 20% of the time.” You know – Thanksgiving, Christmas, Mother’s Day, Birthdays and office parties. Mrs. Obama and I agree that while the 80/20 rule requires planning and patience and commitment, it will surely lead to a healthier nation in the short and long-run.

For some the following to books will be a start, for others they will add variety to what should be your ever expanding library of tips and trick, menus and meal-makeovers that you will enjoy preparing and will have your family asking for more.
 

Yours in health,
313-354-1788